Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The creap factor

Continuing to look at the turtle as a robot and brought it back to life. Trying to understand better the components of movement and how they might relate to one another. I rebuilt some of the turtle, isolate certain gesturing devices.

I found another source of automaton, Jacquet Droz, and his draftsman, lady musician and the writer from 1772. It amazes me the animated life of these automata, like Dedalus, Jacquet Droz is able to bring this ‘dolls to life with a series of complicated mechanisms within that mimic a natural movement. The complexity if the mechanics translates to a very random, alive response to the audience. Like the turtle, that evokes a natural movement with a combination of simple gestures on their own, these Automata come to life due to this movement. Jacquet Droz seems to have taken it further with his Automata, take for instance the draftsman, which draws four different kind of drawings, but during his drawing process, pauses and blows the dust of his drawing. A little creapy if you ask me. In fact the Automata contains cams, which are interchangeable elements to the machine that allows it to be programmed to allow for different outputs, like a drawing or a picture. Here is a link of the writer, the eyes in the end creep me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nxETblSi4

Here is another creepy link of other Automata, Dolls that move, and especially their eyes, is too much for me. I think I might have nightmares now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-sdt3qtcB8&NR=1

0 Comments: