Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Building a frame for suspension





Here are some pics of the base of the model so far. I am trying to build a frame that will take the weight of this huge model. I have managed to get some hangers up on the suspended beam, just a plain 2 x4, still needs to be painted. I am thinking white. The design intent of the hanger is to support a grid that will hold a reflected site plan above the actually model. The plan can be used for referencing points in space along the model. Another concern of mine is the hooks i am anchored into within the ceiling. I noticed that the structure can take my wait but the thin wire starts to cut those hooks in the ceiling. I have secured safety cables to the nearest support and if something fails, because the model could be about 75 pounds, then the safety cables will be a fail safe.

I am in the process of sanding down the tracks, to get rid of any glue and ensure a smooth surface for the actual train rails. I was thinking of painting the tracks , Gregory suggested bright gloss red. I like it. I gives a clear ground reference to the model.

0 Comments: