Friday, December 14, 2007

Proscenium up and running

The proscenium is now operational, but still a few glitches. Weight causes friction between the wood axles at each gear. When the pole is at 45 degree angle to the double suspension line above, friction between the bracket and pole slows and halts movement. Lubrication was a key to resolving some of those issues. The power, amperage, another issue, was resolved by wiring a separate power supply to each motor. In the future a more efficient gear system will probably help. I started to get the Arduino programmed and trying to figure out a way to reverse polarity on the motors through Arduino. I looked at using relays, using the Arduino to switch the polarity through a blink program. My decision to go this route instead of the switches is due to the nature of the tilt. I guess i could just abandon the floor device all together and use its inputs for the upper motors. I also used the extra tilt switch i had from before, located on the tail, to interrupt the device pulley along the suspension line, creating some pause input into the devices movement. Not only is the random important but the pause as well, something I noticed from earlier: I have been trying to replicate with switches all this time. The light sensors provide some interruption in movement, some pause, but its so direct that the uncanny gets lost.

0 Comments: